Monday, November 19, 2012

A mother's heavy heart

I truly believe that God has a plan for my son; however, I have one issue that has been tearing me apart.  In my life I have had nothing, but supportive parents.  No matter what I wanted to do they told me that they would support me and they always encouraged me to chase my dreams.  The same went for my brother, they never told us we couldn't do something or they would not back us up.  As parents you always want to encourage and support your children in everything they want to do.  You never want to give limitations because you always want them to strive for the best.  This has been something I have been really struggling with this week.  Hunter and I are both very into sports; hunter plays still and I love watching it. I always thought that my son would play them.  I had dreams of going to his games and being that overly decked out parent with the buttons and shirts etc.  I never dreamed I would have to tell him no on anything he wanted to do. 

With everything I have read with children with HLHS usually they know when to limit themselves and take a break.  It does state that contact sports are not highly looked upon with kids suffering from this heart defect.  How does a mother tell her son "you can't do this, you just are not strong enough?" or "you are not like the other kids you have to take it easy?"  This especially weighs heavy on my heart because Hunter and I plan on having more children.  Having to tell one of your children they can't do something and the other can is gut wrenching for me.  I have shed so many tears thinking about how I might have to limit my son and tell him no to a dream he may have.  I know God works in mysterious ways; this is just an issue I have been really dealing with.  I have been praying he will be really into music or an amazing painter like his aunt, or even a doctor like his uncle and that this will never be an issue.  I want him to know that his father and I support him, but we also want to protect him.  He not only has a heart issue, but he is our first child.  Already I cannot imagine my life without this sweet boy and I will do everything in my power to protect him, but when does that protection become too much.  I know I will have a hard time letting go because he will be such a miracle.  I read about stories of other children that are able to do things that maybe the doctors have advised against, but then I read the stories of the children that literally are the mold of what the doctors say you can't do.  His heart will typically work 3/4 as good as a healthy child's heart after all his surgeries.  He will get tired quicker, winded quicker, etc.  I really pray I never have to tell my child he just is not strong enough to do something he may really want.  I mean seriously; how do you tell your child he can't follow a dream?

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend from highschool whos son was born without a hand, and she also had these same thoughts. She told me one day that she gets thru those tormenting thoughts in her head because her son will never know any different. And he is one of the happiest little 3 yo little boys ever. You would never know he was "different".
    I am sure that you and Hunter will be able to find the ability to parent many children with many different abilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't know you, your story was passed on to me by a friend. It is very difficult to explain to a child that they have limitations. It is hard to control our over-protective nature as parents. Our son, now 17 years old, was born with a kidney that functions only 10% of the time. We were told "don't let him play contact sports" "don't let him overexert himself". Well, he has played football, basketball and is now wrestling....he isn't very good at any sport but in his heart he really wants to play. Christian will realize his own limitations and will compensate for them.

    Yes, it will be hard when a younger sibling is able to excel at those things your child so wants to do - but it is a life lesson for them that a person cannot excel at all things but must find the niche where they best fit. Our younger son is a star football player...big brother has had to accept that he won't be an athlete but has found he loves JROTC and plans to go into the military.

    Bottom line, love Christian with all your heart and trust that God will watch over him when he goes out to play. Give him the freedom to discover his limitations.

    ReplyDelete