Monday, December 3, 2012

Rock Bottom


Friday, November 30, 2012, was the hardest day for Hunter and I. We had to hand over our little superman to the surgeons to conduct Christian’s unexpected first heart surgery.  Because the pumping function of Christian’s heart was not improving with medicine, Dr. Pizzaro decided that it would be best if he did half of what they call the hybrid procedure and possibly do the other half later if there was still no improvement and eventually have to get the Norwood.  The procedure they did Friday was went in and put bands around the pulmonary arteries to help his heart not have to work so hard.  I was able to hold my baby and Hunter and I loved on him and cried over him.  When it was time to give him to the doctors we walked along side until we got to the O.R.  That has been by far the hardest moment in our life.  I came back to the room and just lay on my bed and cried for my sick baby.  I wish there was a way I could take his place, a way to give him my healthy heart.  Not being able to do something for your child to alleviate their pain is the worst feeling in the world.  As a mother you want to comfort your baby, and I can’t.  The procedure went well and we were able to see him right after surgery.  No one can begin to prepare you to see your 2 day old baby with tubes and wires coming out from everywhere.  It was the most painful feeling.  We both cried over our little boy.  The questions of Why?! Still flood our heads.  He remained steady Friday through Saturday morning. 
 
Saturday afternoon when we went into see him in the CICU he had a mask on with a “sun lamp” over him.  We were informed he had Jaundice.  Seemed like if it wasn’t one thing it was another.  Hunter and I have begun to read him books nightly before we go to bed.  We want him to know our voices and know that even though we can’t be with him 24/7 that we love him deeply. 

Sunday came and the nurse on Saturday night told us that Christian’s heart rate had been irregular throughout the night and she wasn’t sure what they were going to do, but she didn’t act like it was much of a big deal.  The phone call came a few hours later that Dr. Pizzaro needed to speak with us.  My heart sank I knew it was more bad news.  He explained that Christian’s heart he cannot recall having another patient with not only HLHS, but also having all the other complications, pumping and irregular heart beat.  He told us that if we proceeded with the Norwood Christian’s chances of survival drop substantially.  If he had a “normal” HLHS heart the Norwood would be the best option, but at this point he told us a complete heart transplant is the option we will need to go with.  I cannot even begin to explain the devastation I feel.  We will be talking to the heart transplant coordinator today to get on the list.  The problem is we are competing with people all around the world for an infant heart.  They are in high demand and the supply is sparse.   Christian has O+ blood so any O blood type would work for him and O blood is higher in the population so that is working to our advantage.  It is not a matter of days when he will get a heart, but months.  My heart aches for my child.  There is no pain greater.


So at this point our option for Christian is a complete heart transplant.  Hunter and I are both devastated.  I keep trying to understand the reasons behind it.  I try not to get angry, but I do.  I cannot seem to understand how someone that has thrown away a child with an abortion, or taken drugs during pregnancy, or has complete disregard for their children are given healthy children.  We appreciate all the prayer and encouragement.  I personally am not responding to anyone because I just don’t want to talk.  Please don’t take this personally.  What we are going through is something no one that has not been in our situation can relate too and we are wore out of hearing Christian compared to something or someone completely irrelevant to what he has or having to explain over and over what is being done.  We are NOT accepting visitors besides our family.  We ask for continued prayer through this very difficult time.  I keep getting told how strong I am and honestly I am at a breaking point.  I am emotionally drained and I really don’t know how much stronger I can be.  No one should ever have to endure the kind of pain Hunter and I are feeling.

5 comments:

  1. Ash- I am Amy Rooks (Brown). You may know me from topeka. Margie and Larry Brown's daughter. First I want to say I am so so sorry for the inexplainable pain you are having.

    Our hearts can feel so much pain because they have such a great capacity to love so much. I know it is almost to much to bear!

    I am a nurse in this field in Topeka. I just want to say there is hope, we see transplants. I will pray that one happens for you if that is God's will.

    I have experienced great heart pain, although different circumstances than yours during these times I had to hold on to these phrases,

    God is enough for me,
    God is Here,

    and

    I am enough for God.

    Although it was hard to always believe these phrases. The more I said them in these heart hurting times, the more it became ingrained in me that He is here-(WITH BABY), He is Enough(FOR YOU AND BABY), and You and Hunter are Enough for Him-(God doesn't expect anything from you but to rest in His arms right now.)

    Lastly, just let yourself feel whatever you need to. Anger, sadness, depression, hurt, why, a bit hopeful. Whatever give yourself a break and know it is ok to feel however you are feeling right now!

    We all love you in Topeka and are praying for you. No need to respond just a few thoughts!

    Love you, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's purely disgusting what's happening right now, it's not right and it's definitely not fair.. and you are entitled to feel that way completely..... It's hard because there is nothing anyone can say to make it better for you right now. I know that, and it's a terrible and unimaginable place to be... I am so sorry. You're not alone is the only thing of comfort I think to say. I'm so sorry Ashly. I'm thinking of you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashly, don't apologize for any of your feelings. Your are entitled to everything that you feel. Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashly,
    My name is Amy & my heart aches with you….my son Aaron has HLHS and is now 6 but your emotions and story wrench my heart. Jon Pitts is a family friend and told us about your little guy  No one truly understands unless you have walked this road….I completely understand how you feel. What you wrote about saying goodbye & kissing him before entering the O.R. and seeing his face and chest after surgery with all of the tubes and drains brought me to tears. Please know that in the midst of this storm, when you can barely breath, that He has a plan and that you are all in the palm of His hand. He can comfort us like no one else….I remember many days when I told the Lord that I could not be comforted….unless my baby was completely healed. Those were always the days that He would bless me with a massive portion of hope, peace & clarity. We also had dark moments in the midst of Aaron’s journey….that he was bleeding out during his first surgery and that they were unsure of what was going to happen – and the bleeding suddenly stopped – They were completely baffled by this  Or when he had a massive stroke during his last surgery and we were told that he would never run again, his cognitive skills would seriously be diminished & that he wouldn’t respond or smile for at least 2 weeks…..He woke up that night laughing and talking  Not to mention he is the fastest runner out of my 3 kids!! Lastly, I want to share with you about a little girl named Sarah who was on the CICU floor with Aaron….she needed a heart transplant and would slowly walk around the CICU everyday with her Rome heart keeping her alive and she would stop and sing to us  Sarah got a heart on her birthday and we all rejoiced with her!!! She is doing beautifully now.

    A mothers love is a powerful thing - it can swell to heights of joy that you never imagined possible & can pierce your heart with unbearable worry and concern for our little ones. The beauty of this is that Our Maker designed this love we have. When we are at the end of our rope He has a whole new line waiting to carry us on. Not that this makes the journey easy or care free but the reality of it is our anchor during the storm. Please know I stand with you in prayer for strength, peace, rest and above all healing for your precious baby boy.

    Take care and please feel free to contact me if you ever need to vent or talk  Your dad has my email info…..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashly,
    There is a young couple in Tyler TX who have been very open, honest about their journey with their precious girl, Haven Grace. Her mom's name is Lacy. Their facebook page is "praying for Haven Grace". They are a remarkable Christian family who I know would prayerfully and emotionally help you during thid difficult time.

    ReplyDelete