Thursday, February 7, 2013

CHD baby #1 February 7: Meet Paislyn.....



The Sassy Little Paislyn Nicole

Hi my name is Paislyn Nicole Metzger. I was born on August 24th 2010, when my mommy was 38 weeks. Mommy and Daddy were so EXCITED to meet their Healthy and beautiful baby girl. I was 5 lbs 15 oz and mommy says I was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.... however I was not as "healthy" as they thought. No one had any idea before I was born that I had any issues at all. I was about 14 hours old when the Doctor told my mommy and daddy "something" was going on with me and they needed to send us to a bigger hospital ASAP. So off we went..... while we were there we learned "the news" that broke my parent's hearts. Me, their sweet baby girl, who looked PERFECT.... only had half of a working heart. I have HypoPlastic Right Heart Syndrome. At this point my mommy and daddy's minds were a blur hearing the words, 3 open heart surgeries, chest cut open, ivs, meds, it was all TOO much to handle! They just looked at me, their 5lb little lady. Well I wanted to prove to mommy and daddy I would be ok so I was eating great and being a rockstar. Jesus was helping me and keeping me strong, while my parent's and many others continued to pray. we were released to go home 3 days later. Now we went home with the instructions for mommy and daddy to watch my breathing and make sure I was eating enough so I could grow bigger before my first surgery. Mommy and daddy were a wreck; to new parents, getting the instructions to watch your child's breathing is insanely nerve wrecking! But they did it all night long every night mommy watched me, her sweet little girl, breathe. I was about 2 weeks old when I started having trouble breathing and I started GASPING for breath. It was the scariest moment of my parent's life and we rushed to our local Emergency Room. From there I was rushed by ambulance to a bigger hospital once again. I stayed in the ICU for 2 weeks at Toledo Children's Hospital. Those 2 weeks were so up and down, but mostly DOWN...... It was at that point the doctors came into my ICU room and told my mommy they needed to talk to her and daddy. It wasn't a good sign. They were not allowed to hold or touch me anymore, they had a crash cart outside of my room, and told my parents "there would be no point sending me to a different hospital to do my first open heart surgery because I would NOT survive. Words can not begin to express the pain my parents felt. Their world was shattering around them. However what these Doctors didn't know is that my mommy and daddy serve an AMAZING, MERCIFUL GOD who was with me and made me in HIS image and I was HIS child. He was with me and my parents every step of the way! 3 days later, guess what happened, I was transferred to University of Michigan Hospital where I underwent her 1st Open Heart Surgery (the Norwood) at almost 6 weeks old. Guess what else....yep I sailed through the PICU and the floor like a champ, I was eating wonderfully and we went home 10 days later, with NO feeding tubes at all! God protected my parent's little girl and they know I am a fighter. I got to go home and play and eat, and eat and eat some more to get me nice and big for my 2nd open heart surgery. I had my 2nd open heart surgery at 7 months old and although leading up to it was awful and scary for my mommy and daddy, we went home 5 days after my surgery! Again all the glory goes to our Heavenly Father! I am now 2 and 1/2 years old and I am simply AMAZING! I know all my colors, I can spell my name since before I was 2, I can count to 10, I know my shapes and I am ACTIVE as any 2 year old, I keep my mommy busy! Mommy says I truly am a miracle and so amazing! I am sassy, spunky, pretty incredible, loving and funny! Mommy tells me all the time that I complete her life and there is definitely something special about me. However, my oxygen levels are at about 81%, I start to breathe hard when I play, but I know when to stop to rest. I look at mommy and say " mommy me take a deep breath." I am now approaching my 3rd and final open heart surgery. To think about it makes my mommy feel sick inside, but she knows that it is necessary for me to live a long healthy life. I will rock it just like I have the past two! My 3rd surgery will probably be the first week of April this year so please keep me and my family in your prayers! Mommy is so amazed what these doctors can do with my tiny little heart, but also amazed and thankful for what God can do!!


Feel free to follow my story at
paislyn-littlemissmiracle.blogspot.com


 



 
1st Surgery


 
2nd Surgery


 
2nd Surgery


 
Spunky little 2 year old


 
True Miracle

No comments:

Post a Comment